But first, the quote of the day:
Il piacere di alzar la testa tutto l’anni e ben pagato da certi quarti d’ora che bisogna passar
From Stendhal’s “The Red and the Black” (“the pleasure of going around with one’s head held high all year is well paid for by certain quarters of an hour one must endure”)
Meme of the day: List 5 of your buttons that can be pushed to effect every time
1) Non Sequiters. Such as, when people demand that we atheists justify our non-belief in God. As if! Like I have to prove it to you that goldfish never speak Chinese!!
2) Cover-ups. When people sweep things under the rug and pretend that everything is fine. Never fails to rile.
3) Race-baiting. Republicans like Hannity and Limbaugh are just dying to come out and accuse Obama supporters of being “nigger lovers” but just can’t bring themselves to say the words, so they try and use other words instead, but come on! I double dog dare you to!
4) Honest brokers. People who claim impartiality when it’s obviously not true, like the United States in the Middle East. Obama today was saying that Iran has caused problems there – oh, really? Did they invade and occupy anybody? Did they sell everybody tons of weapons? Did they go around overthrowing anybody’s government, like we overthrew theirs? Really. Troublemakers!
5) Lackeys. There are people who do not do their job, but wait for you to do it for them, then copy it and claim some credit. When they approach, my stress level rises. Invariably.
If I were a meme-spreader, I would “tag” certain people, but when people do that to me, that’s button push number six – like the woman who once asked me what my dating showstoppers were, and I immediately realized that one of them is people who use the term “showstoppers”.