It’s a bigger problem than I originally thought. It’s possible we really DO need a book called ‘What to Worry About and How‘. It can get pretty confusing pretty quickly. Here are three topics. Which one should we worry about, if any, and how should we go about this worrying:
1) Some libraries in Some states are Not stocking ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ – this is censorshio
2) The San Francisco Public Library does Not block pornography – this is non-censorship
3) We are horrified by mass murders by lone psycopaths – this is real life, not a movie franchise
4) We love movies about mass murders by lone psychopaths – one billions dollars. same movie franchise
5) Women are murdered in public execution – at least it didn’t happen in Our Country
6) Young girls are stolen off the streets and murdered – this happens in Our Country all the time.
Let’s go down the list, shall we, even though there is no end to lists like this?
1 and 2) It always comes down to so-called “community standards”. Either your local community is run by self-righteous judgmental morons or not. It’s not about religion. It’s about imposing opinions through power.
3 and 4) You can’t have your cake and eat it too. A society that glorifies violence is going to be violent. A culture that loves guns and bombs is going to have guns and bombs. Look in the mirror – or just look at the damn movie! What the hell are we doing?
5 and 6) A lot of men are vicious beasts, everywhere. Don’t go bragging about your own damn country. Violence against women has got to become ancient history.
Of the three sets of issues here, I’d rank the last pair highest, the second pair next, and the first pair last. I don’t really care so much about libraries banning or not banning stuff. Libraries? Really? Get the fucking book somewhere else (and I mean that literally).